David Healy has not been in the Windsor Park hot seat long but tonight he secured his first important win as boss as his Linfield defeated holders Cliftonville 3-1 in the County Antrim Shield quarter finals.

Jay Donnelly had given the visitors the lead in the 40th minute before Reds goalkeeper Peter Burke thwarted Andrew Waterworth from the penalty spot.

However, Waterworth atoned with the equaliser seven minutes into the second half, before an Aaron Burns double in extra time ensured the Blues progression into the last four.

Across the city at Seaview, champions Crusaders suffered their second cup exit of the season, falling to a 0-2 defeat to Ballymena United. Goals from David Cushley and Tony Kane were enough for the Sky Blues, as Stephen Baxter's side failed to score for the first time in 18 outings. The Crues also exited the League Cup at the hands of Championship One side Institute earlier this month.

East Antrim duo Larne and Carrick Rangers make up the last four, with victories over Ards and H&W Welders respectively. The Welders fought back from 2-0 down but a late own goal downed Gary Smyth's side, who had previously knocked Glentoran out of this year's tournament. Strikes from Stuart and Maguire were enough for Larne to record a narrow 2-1 win at high-flying Ards.

Loughgall provided the shock of the last eight in the Mid Ulster Cup, defeating Portadown 3-2 to heap more misery on Ronnie McFall. Rodney McAree's first day back in charge of Dungannon ended with a 3-0 win over Championship 2 side Dollingstown, while Premiership side Warrenpoint slipped to a 1-0 exit at Holm Park against Armagh City. Glenavon faced no such problems, as they overcame amateur side Tandragee Rovers 7-2.

County Antrim Shield QF results:
Ards 1-2 Larne
Carrick Rangers 3-2 HW Welders
Crusaders 0-2 Ballymena
Linfield 3-1 Cliftonville (after extra time)

Mid Ulster Cup QF results:
Armagh City 1-0 Warrenpoint
Dungannon Swifts 3-0 Dollingstown
Glenavon 7-2 Tandragee Rovers
Loughgall 3-2 Portadown